Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A chance to make a difference



"I don't know why the little ones thirst
But I know the last shall be first"
-Brooke Fraser "Flags"

We wake up everyday to tons of resources so many people in this world do not have the luxury of enjoying. I don’t know about you, but I shower every day, enjoy water from the tap in my house, and don’t think twice about what it takes to get it or where it really comes from. We hardly ever even have to take a second to worry that it might not be there the next time we turn the facet. We take so many things for granted.

A billion people in the world are living without clean water - but how much are they really living? Millions contract deadly diseases from contaminated water. 45,000 people will die this week alone. The lucky ones won't, but still walk hours each day to get dirty water to give to their families.

Imagine taking a bit of the resources we have and making a difference in this world. Taking something small and making a life-changing difference!

My birthday wish this year is not for more gifts I don't need; it's to give clean and safe drinking water to some of the billion living without it. I want to make my birthday matter this year.

Please join me! To me, the reward for this unique count-down to my birthday is not just the benefit of knowing first hand that what we are doing here is making a difference, but also in coming together in community to make that difference.


So, please consider giving ANY amount to make this difference. Seriously, ANY amount. Some good amounts to try; how about some value that signifies my upcoming age (hey, hey, I’m still 27 till then!): $.28, $2, $8, $28, $280, etc. Consider cashing in all that spare change you’ve got laying around. My initial goal is $1000. Please take a minute and read the facts about what a measly $1000 can do to change a community of people. If by some crazy, cool chance we come together and exceed that amount, I will continue to double my campaign goal until my birthday.

I sincerely hope you decide to be a part of this. I have been very excited about it! Lets all come together to change the world, one act at a time. And I know YOU should be having a birthday sometime in the next year, consider starting your own campaign, I will be happy to be the first to give along with you!

Love you all and am thankful that I can look at my birthday coming up knowing that I need little and have so much, including you in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment